Depression is a mental illness that is characterized by long-term and intense feelings of sadness, hopelessness and loss of interest in life. This disease affects the way of thinking, acting and everyday functioning of a person. A person suffering from depression finds it difficult to cope with everyday activities, is discouraged and feels that life has no meaning.
Symptoms of depression can vary from person to person, but most commonly include:
- feelings of sadness and hopelessness,
- loss of interest in life and activities,
- sleep disorders,
- problems with concentration and memory,
- lack of energy and fatigue,
- loss of appetite or excessive appetite,
- thoughts of suicide or thoughts of death.
Depression is an illness that can have serious effects on your mental and physical health, so it’s important to seek for professional help.
Treatment of depression usually consists of psychotherapy, and sometimes pharmacotherapy. There are studies that hyperbaric oxygen therapy can also be supportive treatment.
How does HBOT work for depression?
- Allows you to cure inflammations that often arise in the brain as a result of a long-term illness,
- Oxygenation of the body and improved circulation cause a short-term improvement in well-being and an increase of energy,
- Accelerates the reconstruction of the nervous system,
- Improves concentration,
- May improve the absorption of certain medications.
Of course we must point out that oxygen therapy cannot be a substitute for psychotherapy or medication, as it is not an officially approved form of treatment for depression.